SCRANTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
Summary: The position provides oversight of financials (accounting, accounts receivable and payable, statement preparation, and payroll), while also helping in strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management. The Business Manager reports to the CEO and collaborates with library directors and department managers by overseeing all aspects of accounting, finance, and business needs.
Organization Overview: The Scranton Public Library, established 125 years ago, serves the greater Scranton Area through the collections and services offered at the main building – the Albright Memorial Library, the Children’s Library, the Bookmobile, Nancy Kay Holmes Branch and Library Express. Funded primarily by a referendum based, dedicated tax established in 1982. The Library is the main library of the Lackawanna County Library System – a federated library system including 6 community libraries. Additionally the Library serves as the state appointed District Library Center for the Northeast Library District – providing support services to regional libraries throughout five counties in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
Mission Statement: The Scranton Public Library strives to enhance the lives of all individuals by offering free access to materials and programs designed to satisfy the information and recreational needs of our community.
Salary: $50,000 to $55,000 depending on qualifications and experience. Generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, retirement contribution, life insurance, paid holidays and paid time off.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree specializing in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field is required;
• Certifications and/or advanced degree a plus;
• A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in areas of accounting or finance;
• Experience working with nonprofit organizations a plus;
• Experience with reporting of financial data and audit coordination;
• Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and shift to urgent projects, as needed;
• Excellent organizational skills, including multitasking and time-management;
• Strong attention to detail;
• Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, written and presentation skills;
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team;
• Ability to work on tight deadlines;
• Effectively communicate and present financial matters to the CEO and board of directors;
• Personal qualities of patience, integrity, credibility, and dedication to the Library’s mission;
• Highly proficient with computer technology;
• Proficiency in Quickbooks;
• Extensive experience with MS Office, particularly Excel.
• Plans, implements, manages, and controls all financial-related activities of the organization;
• Ensures financial objectives are met and company procedures are followed;
• Pays supplier invoices in a timely manner;
• Manages cash flow and day-to-day banking;
• Develops, implements, and maintains effective accounting policies and internal controls;
• Develops the annual budget in conjunction with the CEO and Board of Directors, and monitors budget performance throughout the fiscal year;
• Ensures that expenditures are consistently aligned with budgets;
• Provides timely and accurate financial information, analysis and projections as needed for the CEO and Library’s board;
• Produces monthly and audited year-end financial statements;
• Ensures that all required state and federal reports are filed in a timely manner;
• Reviews balances of bank accounts, allocations and escrows regularly and ongoing;
• Serves as the intermediary and liaison for the Library’s Board of Directors and attend all Board meetings;
• Prepares and submits payroll through a 3rd party payroll system;
• Assists with health insurance administration;
• Other administrative tasks as assigned.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com. Please include “Business Manager” in the subject line. The Library will be accepting applications until the position is filled. Position start date is May 1, 2019.
Please be advised that state required clearances are mandatory. Drug and alcohol testing and credit check will be performed.
The Scranton Public Library is an equal employment opportunities (EEO) employer to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.