There is a part-time
position at the Scranton Public Library’s book store/library, Library
Express. Library Express is located in the Marketplace at
Must have strong
customer service skills, enjoy people and work well with all ages. Flexibility
in availability is essential. The schedule includes Fridays, Saturdays and
Sundays. The weekly schedule is approximately 15-20 hours.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties: Clerk
- Establishes and maintains a high customer service
- Performs full range of circulation desk duties,
including issuing library cards, checking materials in and out, reserving
books, collecting fines, answering the phone, pulling the daily pick list,
making copies, and promoting library events.
- Advises customers about library materials and computers
and oversees appropriate use of the facility.
- Orders Interlibrary Loan items for customers.
- Keeps shelves properly organized, assists with shelving
materials when needed, and assists with creating attractive seasonal displays.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of library principles
- Understands computers and automated library systems.
- Understands a variety of mobile devices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and
- Works independently, takes initiative, and successfully
- Must be able to multi-task, and enjoy a steady to fast
- Ability to work in a calm and friendly manner with
customers, co-workers, and volunteers.
- Must be reliable and punctual.
- High school diploma or GED is required. College
degree/library experience preferred, but not required.
Demand and Work Environment:
- Physical ability to stand or sit for several hours.
- Lift up to 25lbs, reach, bend, kneel, crouch, and push
carts loaded with books.
- Physical and manual dexterity.
- Ability to listen and clearly communicate in person and
on the telephone.
will demonstrate the ability to cheerfully respond to customer requests, to
work cooperatively in a team environment, to be flexible as the demands of the
job change, and to handle the fast-pace of telephone and in-person
interactions. Upon hiring, child abuse and criminal background checks will be
conducted in accordance with state law.
Starting Hourly Rate:
$9-$11 depending on qualifications
For any questions contact Diane Demko, Senior Branch Manager, at 570-558-1670. Applications accepted until job is filled.