TeenTober is a nationwide celebration of library programs and services dedicated to teens in our communities. Created by YALSA (Young Adult Library Services Association), a division of the American Library Association, TeenTober now combines previous celebrations including Teen Tech Week and Teen Read Week.
Libraries are a great resource for teens to use for several reasons. These are just a few!
- Libraries are a PLACE where teens can go after school and on weekends to do homework, socialize, and learn new skills.
- Libraries provide homework and tutoring help for free.
- Libraries provide programs like arts and craft classes, STEAM activities, and book and movie discussions all designed for teens.
- Libraries allow teens to explore career opportunities through hands-on learning activities and online resources.
FREE ONLINE RESOURCES FOR TEENS IN LACKAWANNA COUNTY
*Free Wi-Fi at all Lackawanna County Libraries*
- HelpNow – offers live tutor access for homework help, skills building and test preparation as well as a writing lab, online study group functionality and more! Live tutors are available daily from 2 to 11 pm.
- Learning Express Library – offers practice SAT/ACT exam questions and lets you track your progress.
- Power Library – offers research help for your papers and projects. Use “Talk To A Librarian” to live chat with a research librarian to help you ace your next paper!
- JobNow – offers resume and job search help for all ages.
- Pennsylvania Career Guide – Explore different career paths.
- Medline Plus for Teens – offers medical definitions and health resources for the whole family.
- Khan Academy – an online education service that provides free courses and instructional videos on math, science, computer programming, history, economics and more.
- Driving Permit Practice – practice for the PA Drivers’ Permit Test for both Cars and Motorcycles or just review the Handbook.
- Libby App – browse and search the Lackawanna County Library System’s collection of eBooks and eAudiobooks from the comfort of home and download selections to your device. Fiction, non-fiction, classics and children’s books available.
- Kanopy App – Kanopy is a video-streaming platform that delivers a diverse collection of 30,000+ enriching films, available to stream anytime and anywhere — from desktop to TV to tablet.
FREE PROGRAMS FOR TEENS
Use this website to find your nearest library and view their calendar of events available just for teens! Live in Scranton, but want to attend a program at Abington? Go right ahead!
FREE LIBRARY CARDS FOR TEENS
Click Here to sign up for a card.