There is a part-time position at the Scranton Public Library’s book store/library, Library Express. Library Express is located in the Marketplace at Steamtown.
Must have strong customer service skills, enjoy people and work well with all ages. Flexibility in availability is essential. The schedule includes Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. The weekly schedule is approximately 15-20 hours.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties: Clerk
- Establishes and maintains a high customer service performance standard.
- Performs full range of circulation desk duties, including issuing library cards, checking materials in and out, reserving books, collecting fines, answering the phone, pulling the daily pick list, making copies, and promoting library events.
- Advises customers about library materials and computers and oversees appropriate use of the facility.
- Orders Interlibrary Loan items for customers.
- Keeps shelves properly organized, assists with shelving materials when needed, and assists with creating attractive seasonal displays.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of library principles and practices.
- Understands computers and automated library systems.
- Understands a variety of mobile devices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Requirements:
- Works independently, takes initiative, and successfully completes duties.
- Must be able to multi-task, and enjoy a steady to fast pace environment.
- Ability to work in a calm and friendly manner with customers, co-workers, and volunteers.
- Must be reliable and punctual.
- High school diploma or GED is required. College degree/library experience preferred, but not required.
Demand and Work Environment:
- Physical ability to stand or sit for several hours.
- Lift up to 25lbs, reach, bend, kneel, crouch, and push carts loaded with books.
- Physical and manual dexterity.
- Ability to listen and clearly communicate in person and on the telephone.
Successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to cheerfully respond to customer requests, to work cooperatively in a team environment, to be flexible as the demands of the job change, and to handle the fast-pace of telephone and in-person interactions. Upon hiring, child abuse and criminal background checks will be conducted in accordance with state law.
Starting Hourly Rate: $9-$11 depending on qualifications
For any questions contact Diane Demko, Senior Branch Manager, at 570-558-1670. Applications accepted until job is filled.
Library Express Branch Part Time Clerk