The Alice Ahern Lynady Room houses the Carbondale Public Library’s Genealogy and Local History Collections. The collections contain materials that are related to the people, history, and development of the Greater Carbondale Area. The materials in the collections include microfilmed city newspapers dating back into the early 1800s, Carbondale City Directories, local history books, and historical documents pertaining to the local area. The library also has access to online databases such as Newspapers.com (local papers only), AncestryLibrary.com, and the Lackawanna County Digital Archives.
The Lynady Room is located on the second floor of the Carbondale Public Library and is open the same hours the library is open. For additional assistance, please contact the library to book an appointment.
The Carbondale Public Library collects and provides access to a variety of resources that document the history of the City of Carbondale, its residents, government, businesses, institutions, and organizations. Materials related to the local region and specifically Lackawanna County will also be maintained if it can aid researchers in their understanding of the Greater Carbondale Area.
Several libraries in the Lackawanna County Library System have their own genealogy and local history collections. For more information, check out the library system’s online genealogy page.
Online Request Form: https://lclshome.org/genealogy/
On May 9th, 1874, the “Young Men’s Library Association” was opened in a room on the second floor of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company’s railroad office on North Main St. It is the oldest public library in Lackawanna County (and is older than the county itself which was created on August 13, 1878.)
However, by 1895 the library had already outgrown its space and was moved to the southeast corner of the main floor of Carbondale’s City Hall building. In 1935, an additional room was also made available for the library. This would remain the home of the Carbondale Public Library until 1966.
Thanks to a generous donation by the Hillman Land Co., the library received its own building and moved into the former Bell Telephone Company office on 6th Avenue. in Carbondale. After more than 30 years on 6th Avenue, the library moved back to Main St. This time, however, a new building was designed to accommodate the ever-expanding role the library played in the community. After much anticipation, the library reopened at its current location in October of 1996.
Alice Ahern Lynady
Alice Teresa Ahern married Gerard J. Lynady March 5th, 1946. The couple were deeply involved in their community; serving on numerous boards and committees to raise funds for local organizations. Alice was an avid golfer and member of the Elkview Ladies Golf Association as well as several church groups. After Alice’s death in 1992, Gerard pledged a considerable amount to the new library building. The Alice Ahern Lynady Room is named in her honor.